May is mental health awareness month! Did you know neurodivergent people are more likely to engage in masking due to avoiding negativity and acting neurotypical to fit in the world? This makes it more important than ever to look after your own mental health.
How can anyone focus more on their own mental health? Here are some ways:
1. Engage in special interests and hobbies! For me, I’ve always enjoyed being active, reading books, listening to music, drawing, and coloring. Do what you love!
2. Take time to listen without judgment! People will share perspectives with you based on your experiences. Listen and avoid judgment.
3. Be patient with yourself! Improvements occur overtime, but it starts by showing commitment to yourself.
4. Speak to people you trust! You are going through challenges in life, you got supportive people to talk to along the way. Get help and communicate with people you trust.
5. Seek therapy if necessary to make improvements on yourself. Sometimes we all need therapy at some point to get additional help in certain areas. It starts by taking the first action yourself.
6. Love yourself! The only one who defines you is you. No one else does.
What is one way you take care of your mental health? Share your experiences in the comments section!